Sunday, August 30, 2009

How To Turn A $0.75 Silverware Sorter Into A Sweet Shelf For Knick Knacks!

I found this awesome wooden silverware sorter at a garage sale for $0.75 and my brain automatically was like, "OMG that would make the cutest little shelf for knick-knacks everrrrr!" So here's what I did to it to make it freaking adorable!

Step 1:
Find a cute silverware sorter for $0.75 at a garage sale.


Step 2:
Spray paint it a pretty color. I chose avocado green. I highly suggest priming the shelf first, which I did not do, and it took like 8 billion coats of paint. Very annoying.



Step 3:
Let it dry.



Step 4:
Decide, completely at random, that it would be an excellent idea to take the back of the shelf off. Make your fiance do it though.

Step 5:
Cover the back of the shelf with pretty paper! I used scrapbook paper, and it wasn't quite big enough, so I cut it into pieces to and matched it up to the slots in the shelf.



Step 6:
Glue the paper on. I used Tacky Glue 'cause I thought Mod Podge, although awesome, might not be strong enough. I didn't have a piece of paper big enough to fit the entire bottom slot of the shelf so I just left it blank/green/painted.




Step 7:
After letting it dry, use a staple gun to re-attach the back of the shelf. Marvel in how awesomely creative and crafty you are. Then get pissed when you realize the little knick-knacks you wanted to display in the shelf are too big and won't fit, so you will have to display them on top and get tinier knick-knacks to display.



Step 8:
Done! Yay!

4 comments:

  1. that looks great, hmm going to have to keep my eye out for a cheap tray now :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a great idea! I don't think I would've ever thought of that, but that might be because I don't have a lot of knick knacks. Very cute ~ well done!

    ReplyDelete

Leave me some love.

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails