Friday, February 13, 2009

Shopping addiction

I was hoping that I suffered from a shopping addiction or compulsive spending so that it would explain why I never have any money, but then I read about it a little and it turns out that a true spending addiction is way more serious than my issues. I'm a little bummed, because at least if I was suffering from compulsive shopping, it would be a treatable disorder and I could get help for it.

But alas, I do not max out my credit cards (I don't even have any), I don't "binge shop" during the holidays, I don't have a closet full of clothes/shoes with the tags still on, and I don't feel so out of control that I need to pay a visit to a Debtors Anonymous meeting. So therefore, I have decided I am not a compulsive spender.

Despite this, I do think there might be a teensy bit of a problem though, and I'll tell you why.

Today, upon checking my bank account online, I discovered that I had overdrawn my account (WHAT!?) and was charged a $78 overdraft fee (SON OF A!). I couldn't believe it. How did that happen? I balanced my checkbook the other day. I even balanced my checkbook against my bank account, and everything checked out. Apparently it didn't, or I must have missed something, or calculated wrong, or something. I'm sure my bank would not just make it up to screw me with an overdraft fee (although that would be nice because then I could sue their ass).

Anyway.

I felt so confused and irritated and anxious and icky that I accidentally started shopping online. I accidentally surfed over to oldnavy.com and then I accidentally added a bunch of stuff to my shopping cart. I then proceeded to accidentally check out. I accidentally spent $84. (However, I did find an online coupon for 30% off one item. I saved like, $3. Grumble.)

The moral of the story is that a) I am an idiot, and b) next time you feel the need to buy some stuff to make yourself feel better, make sure you find a really good coupon first.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Leave me some love.

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails